Student Medical Insurance Reimbursement Information
Virginia Tech students who participated in the university sponsored student health insurance program during the period beginning August 2003 and ending July 2011 may be eligible for a reimbursement of overpaid premium.
During this period, GM Southwest, the company responsible for the administration of the student health insurance plan for Clarendon National Insurance Company, Nationwide Life Insurance Company, Madison National Life Insurance Company and Pan-American Life Insurance Company, inflated premiums to Virginia Tech students.
GM Southwest and its former owner and CEO pled guilty in federal court to racketeering conspiracy, wire fraud and mail fraud related to these actions.
Clarendon (2003-2004, 2004-2005), Nationwide (2005-2006, 2006-2007, 2008-2009), Madison National (2007-2008) and Pan American (2009-2010, 2010-2011) have voluntarily agreed to provide reimbursement for excess premium charges. In order to receive reimbursement, we ask that you update your mailing address in HokieSPA so that your reimbursement can be processed. You will be receiving correspondence from Virginia Tech and BrownGreer, the Student Health Insurance Reimbursement Fund Administrator, with regard to this reimbursement in the future.
Reimbursements will be based upon a percentage of each student's actual recorded payment toward their health insurance coverage.
You may call 4Help at 1-540-231-HELP (4357) if you need help changing your PID and/or PID password in order to access HokieSpa to update your address.
- 4Help CANNOT reset passwords via our 4Help self-service portal (4Help.vt.edu) or via email.
- You must have your Hokie Passport number (VT ID#) available when you call.
If you do not know your Hokie Passport number (VT ID#), please call one of the following offices who can provide you with your Hokie Passport number (VT ID#):
- Alumni: Alumni Association -- 540-231-6285
- Students, current, or who have attended at least one class: email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to University Registrar's Office -- 540-231-6252. (The Registrar's Office is located in Suite 250 in the Student Services Building. Their business hours are 8am to 5pm Monday through Friday.)
- Graduate Students: Graduate School Office -- 540-231-8636
- Employees/Retired Employees: HR -- 540-231-9331