Virginia Tech®home

Reporting Vehicle Accidents and Property Claims

Vehicle Accidents

Any accident involving a university and/or State licensed vehicle or rental vehicle must follow very specific reporting requirements; this is true regardless of fault or extent of damage. As the operator of a State-owned vehicle, or rented vehicle, you are required to immediately call the State Police if the accident occurred off-campus or the Campus Police if the accident occurred on campus.  


Accidents involving a State-owned or rented vehicle, or one that VT is otherwise insuring, should be reported immediately to the following:

Related Documents:

What to Do if You're In An Accident
Automobile Accident Report Form

Property Claims

The Commonwealth’s insurance provides full coverage less a $1,000 deductible, for loss of property due to theft, vandalism, etc. or destruction by wind, water, freeze, etc.  Any loss or damage to University property should be reported in accordance with the checklists referred to in this section.  This program provides coverage for any University Owned property in transit. 


All sudden and accidental losses or damage to Virginia Tech property should be reported promptly (typical loses include theft, vandalism, water damage, wind damage, floods, lightning damage, etc. )

Loss Mitigation

Loss mitigation is a vital part of the property claims process. Protecting people, evacuating areas, and accounting for people should be your first priority. After people, Virginia Tech assets should be protected by covering or removing items from a damaged area, particularly during a water event. This can reduce overall costs to the University.

Related Documents:

Property Claim Guide Sheet